Sunday, December 6, 2009

progress


My tree is up and about 95% decorated. Yipee! I have just a few more ornaments and the tree topper to go. I'll probably work on it for a few minutes before work, then bring in just a few more decorations after work tomorrow. I'm scaling back a bit this year.

The ornament above is my oldest ornament. It was given to my mom for me by a church member named Fern Novotny. She and her husband Ed passed away many, many years ago. It's a sweet ornament - made entirely and intricately - from wood. Probably by hand too, for sure the painting is hand done. I love it. I always hang it near the top of my tree.

I'm looking forward to a less hectic week. Two potlucks. One at work and one with the young adults at Hennepin. I'm making my "potluck go to recipe" - layered taco dip - for both. Easy.

Today during our church service Pastor Bruce talked about a meeting he had with other downtown pastors and the chief medical director at HCMC. The meeting was about a likely need for a public health care option to happen at the state level, since this part of the federal health care reform remains a lightingrod issue. As predicted when the state budget was passed last spring, HCMC and Regions are now to the point of withholding medical care for under- and uninsured persons in need. These hospitals have always been the resource other Twin Cities hospitals have sent patients to when they learn patients are unable to pay. Our advent theme is Welcoming the Wild One, and Bruce challenged us to begin thinking how the "wild one" would work on the public health care option, and where Hennepin's place is in that work. Challenging issue. Something for me (and I hope for others) to pray about.

In the midst of this, my little angel ornament will continue bring me hope.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really liking your daily posts. It's like I get to talk to you every day, even though we don't see much of each other any more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that's sweet Melissa - you made my day :) I've grown to enjoy writing/reading blogs this year much more than I thought I would. It's good.

    ReplyDelete