Saturday, June 19, 2010

for the love of dad and beets


My dad loves beets. My mom doesn't love cooking and doesn't have a very adventurous taste palette. This parental combination meant I grew up eating canned beets. Beets are particularly lacking when fresh from a can.

A few years ago I discovered fresh beets while dining out with friends. Imagine my surprise at how fresh beets are utterly full of flavor and crispness. I've picked them up the past two weeks at the farmer's market. This week goldens were a part of my bundle.

I slice them up and toss on a cookie sheet for roasting. Sprinkle on a bit of sea salt, a few twists of the pepper grinder and a drizzle of olive oil, and into a 375 degree oven they go for about 25 minutes. Perfect for a salad. Perfect over warm pasta with toasted walnuts and crumbled goat cheese. Fabulous.

Thanks dad for so much, including introducing me to beets.

3 comments:

  1. are you going to share them with your dad??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably bring some over for him today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have recently discovered that I like beets! I am now going to look for them at my Farmer's Market...thank you for the inspiration and Happy Father's Day to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete