Sunday, February 6, 2011

vintage thrifting


Hooray for discovering beauty from the past. I've been inching my way back into picking up housewares and and clothing from my local thrift, consignment and antique shops. I've found my style has changed a bit from my early 20s - especially for housewares. I used to be all about rustic barn wood and rusty metal. Not so much anymore. Now I'm wildly attracted to 50s and 60s prints - mostly florals - on just about anything. A double hooray if I find something to wear from these decades.

A few little dishes, yellow houndstooth pillowcases for spring and summer. And this wool dress coat with square buttons and fur collar. I do feel sorry for the rabbit that gave its life for this collar. It was a long time ago. And I really love being able to give this beauty another life. I'm thinking these little dishes will provide nice homes to some small air plants I'll be purchasing from etsy. Oh, and the tablecloth is thrifted as well - picked it up last fall.

For me, it's all about finding just a couple items I really love, rather than buying just because it's a good deal. More to come as I pick up items here and there.

3 comments:

  1. I get jealous every time someone talks about thrifting. There just isn't anywhere to do it around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to thrift...but lately I have been lessening my load so to speak... but when I find something I usually get it! I love your coat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. By re-purposing that coat you have saved the life of a modern day rabbit! WTG!

    ReplyDelete