Sunday, December 5, 2010

on the fifth day. . .

Reverb 10: December 5 – Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why? (Author: Alice Bradley)

This year I let go of worrying about things I do not have control over. The budget in my department and how it might impact my employment. The fact that my home has lost considerable value in eyes of lenders and the county. My dad making it OK through his knee surgery and rehabilitation. Weather patterns that could impact my family being together on holidays. I could go on with examples, but I'll stop.

I did and still do think about these situations, but I noticed this year that I didn't do a lot of future forecasting about them. I let the thought go through my mind when I needed it to, and let it leave when I had thought enough about it (which happened to be pretty fast, compared to other times in my life). "What is, is" has become my mantra with these situations that are out of my control. I can stew in worry and let that shut out thoughts about positive actions, or I can give them a moment of my time and then move on to new thoughts. I've practiced moving on to what I can take action with this year. It feels powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment